Ravenstahl Tells City Council Its Pension Plan Will Fail

Pittsburgh's major told the City Council that its plan will not succeed in rescuing the city's struggling pension funds.

(October 26, 2010) — Pittsburgh Mayor Luke Ravenstahl has told the City Council that its plan for the city’s parking assets will be a failure, claiming that the Council-Controller strategy to save the city’s pension fund from a state takeover is faulty with numbers that don’t add up.

“We had 19 public meetings and discussion of a bond concept was at each single public meeting,” Councilwoman Natalia Rudiak said, according to KDKA, a Pittsburgh CBS affiliate. “We had a discussion of the bond concept as well as the state’s takeover using the numbers that we had scraped together.”

City Councilman Patrick Dowd explained that the transition proposed by the council makes sense to the Parking Authority. “We’re not dictating, we’re not demanding, we’re not manipulating, we’re asking them because we have confidence,” he said, as reported by KDKA. “We have total confidence and I’ve asked why the mayor doesn’t have confidence. Why is he afraid? What’s he afraid of the independent analysis?”

Despite the confidence of council members over their plan — crafted by some members with city Controller Michael Lamb — Ravanstahl has remained adamant that the strategy will result in layoffs and higher taxes, burdening the city with between $600 million and $800 million of debt. Previously, the major championed a plan in which the city would lease garages and metered spaces for 50 years for $451.7 million to a private investment group formed by J.P. Morgan and Connecticut-based LAZ Parking. The mayor had hoped to use some of the money created by his plan to pay off the parking authority’s debt and pump more than $200 million into the city’s pension fund to avoid a state takeover by January 1.

Want the latest institutional investment industry
news and insights? Sign up for CIO newsletters.

The Council rejected the mayor’s plan and instead proposed it would sell Mellon Square garage, five parking lots and nearly 7,000 metered spaces to the Parking Authority to raise the $220 million the pension funds need, the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reported.



To contact the <em>aiCIO</em> editor of this story: Paula Vasan at <a href='mailto:pvasan@assetinternational.com'>pvasan@assetinternational.com</a>; 646-308-2742

BNY Mellon Survey: HFs and SWFs Exert Strong Appeal

According to a Bank of New York Mellon survey, companies around the world are looking to attract hedge fund and sovereign wealth fund investment.

(October 26, 2010) — Companies worldwide are looking to lure greater investment from hedge funds and sovereign wealth funds while increasingly contemplating secondary stock listings in emerging markets, a new Bank of New York Mellon survey reveals.  

“This survey…has some interesting stats on how companies worldwide meet quite regularly with hedge funds and sovereign wealth funds, treating them now much like any other investor,” BNY Mellon spokesman Joe Ailinger told aiCIO. “We were also surprised that nearly a quarter of firms were considering a secondary stock listing in an emerging market, especially greater in China.”

According to the annual Global Trends in Investor Relations survey of nearly 400 companies from 47 countries, while 93% of companies met with hedge funds to discuss possible investment this year, compared to 89% in 2009, 47% met with sovereign wealth funds. Twenty-two percent are considering a secondary stock listing in high-growth markets, such as China and Hong Kong, to attract growing capital in those regions. Additionally, respondents revealed that major regions for investor opportunities over the next three years are North America (77%), Europe (70%) and Asia (48%).

Separately, Credit Suisse Group said earlier this week that hedge funds have fully recovered their peak in September, when the DJCS Hedge Fund Index was 1.2% over its previous peak in June 2008. During the financial crisis, the index, which measures overall hedge fund performance, fell as much as 19.5% from its the previous peak.

Never miss a story — sign up for CIO newsletters to stay up-to-date on the latest institutional investment industry news.

“The index showed that most funds have regained their high water mark on most of their assets. It is good news to investors who haven’t redeemed their assets,” Oliver Schupp, President of Credit Suisse Index Co., told the Dow Jones Newswires. “Compared to equities, hedge funds fared fairly well over the past two years.”



To contact the <em>aiCIO</em> editor of this story: Paula Vasan at <a href='mailto:pvasan@assetinternational.com'>pvasan@assetinternational.com</a>; 646-308-2742

«