Kentucky Teachers CIO to Retire

Paul Yancey is to leave the pension after almost three decades.

Kentucky Teachers Retirement System (KTRS) has appointed Deputy CIO Tom Siderewicz to the top job as Paul Yancey retires from the pension next month.

A meeting of the pension trustee board this week approved a resolution honoring Yancey’s career at the system, which is Kentucky’s largest financial institution, according to reports in local news service The Lane Report.

Yancey began at the system in 1986 as an analyst and worked his way to the top, eventually taking the CIO role from Stuart Reagan in 2004.

During his time at the system, KTRS’ assets have grown from around $5 billion to $18.5 billion, as of June 30. Its annualized return over the past 20 years, as of the end of December, was 8.2%, according to KTRS’ latest update.

Want the latest institutional investment industry
news and insights? Sign up for CIO newsletters.

At the end of June 2014, KTRS was 53% funded, according to a report from its consultants. In August, the state governor unveiled a working group project to study how to improve this funding level and enable the system to pay out pensions for all enrolled members.

“Since 2008, given finite revenue and challenging budgets, the state has been unable to pay the full annual required contribution for teachers’ pensions,” said an announcement on the KTRS website. “Current retirees are being paid by liquidating investments that ideally would be held onto to grow and pay future retirees. In fact, more than $1 of every $3 paid in pension benefits to retired teachers comes from selling the fund’s assets—something that wasn’t necessary less than a decade ago.”

KTRS’ actuary projects that, without required contributions, the retirement fund would exhaust all assets by 2036. KTRS’ sister pension, the Kentucky Retirement System, was noted in a report by Loop Capital Markets this week as being one of the country’s furthest into the red, standing at 45% funded.

Siderewicz will assume the role on October 1, as Yancey takes his retirement.

Related: US Public Pensions ‘On the Road to Recovery’

La Caisse Inks $2.1B Infrastructure Co-Investment Deal

The Canadian pension fund has partnered with Mexican investors, as part of a plan to double its infrastructure portfolio by 2018.

Quebec’s C$241 billion ($182 billion) pension fund is broadening its already large infrastructure portfolio.

La Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec announced Monday a co-investment deal for infrastructure projects in Mexico. The move is part of a new partnership with a consortium of Mexican institutional investors, including three of the country’s largest pension managers.

“We are creating an innovative investment platform that is ideally positioned to find and invest in the best Mexican infrastructure projects.”The newly created platform will invest up to $2.1 billion over the next five years, pursuing opportunities in energy generation, transmission and distribution, as well as transportation and public transit.

La Caisse said it would commit $1.1 billion in investments, adding to an infrastructure portfolio already worth more than $8.3 billion. The fund added it aims to double the size of this portfolio by 2018. 

Want the latest institutional investment industry
news and insights? Sign up for CIO newsletters.

“When we look around the world, especially in the infrastructure sector, Mexico stands out as an exceptional country to invest in,” said Michael Sabia, president and CEO of La Caisse. “We are creating an innovative investment platform that is ideally positioned to find and invest in the best Mexican infrastructure projects.”

The Mexican investing consortium will contribute the remaining $1 billion.

La Caisse announced earlier this year a $4 billion investment in Quebec public transport. The deal was the beginning of a wider plan to finance infrastructure projects for the Canadian province.

At the time, ratings agency Moody’s aired concerns that the fund was exposing itself to “operational and reputational risks associated with the performance of public infrastructure projects, risks that would have otherwise rested with the provincial government.”

Sabia, meanwhile, referred to the deal as a “win-win” partnership.

“Today’s agreement will allow us to increase our exposure to infrastructure while concretely putting our expertise to work for Quebec’s economy,” he said in January. “These investments will generate returns that help to secure Quebecers’ retirement for the future.”

Related: Canadian Pension Pens $4B Infrastructure Deal & Moody’s Warns Canada’s Caisse over Infrastructure

«