Carlyle Accused of Fraud by Ex-Employee

A former portfolio manager claims he was fired for blowing the whistle on “crazy” and “irresponsible” investments.

Carlyle Group has been sued by a former portfolio manager for one of its hedge funds, who accused the firm of “knowingly and intentionally fraudulent” behavior.

Nikhil Dhir, an ex-oil specialist for Carlyle’s Vermillion Asset Management, filed the case Tuesday. Dhir complained internally that the fund was misleading limited partners about an investment’s size, risk, and liquidity to avoid losing fees, the suit alleged, leading to his wrongful firing.

A spokesperson for Carlyle said the claims were “baseless and frivolous,” and that this is the second time Dhir has filed a complaint of this nature. The first, a case filed with the Department of Labor, was “dismissed with prejudice” last month, Carlyle said.

“Transparency, integrity, and our fiduciary duty are the core of our commitment to our investors and we will vigorously defend ourselves,” the spokesperson said.

Never miss a story — sign up for CIO newsletters to stay up-to-date on the latest institutional investment industry news.

Dhir alleged Vermillion’s Viridian fund had built an overweight position in derivatives based on freight rates, with the portion of the fund allocated to freight growing to over 90% between 2012 and 2014. This is despite promises to investors—including public pensions—that no more than 30% of the fund would be allocated to a single commodity.

“In violation of how it was marketed to investors, this did not constitute a diversified investment fund, by any account,” the lawsuit stated.

The fund initially entered into the long freight position in 2012, and held on after Dhir’s dismissal in February 2015. According to the complaint, the partners of the fund consistently claimed that “the position was liquid and could be exited with minimal market impact.”

As the hedge fund suffered “large losses and a rapid increase in volatility,” Vermillion co-founders Chris Nygaard and Andrew Gilbert, along with Chief Operating Officer Chris Zuech, “told investors that the freight position was the right position, and advised them to keep their money in the fund for a recovery… because it would increase the amount of fees the partners would receive from investors.”

By October 2014, the case said, “every data point indicated the investment was risky and dangerous.” In a meeting with Gilbert and Nygaard, Dhir and other portfolio managers likened the situation to the Enron scandal. Nygaard responded that it would be better for the hedge fund to let freight go to zero, even though it would hurt clients, according to the complaint.

Dhir and others continued to raise concerns, accusing the fund of acting “crazy” and irresponsible.” Gilbert warned the portfolio managers would lose their jobs if they insisted that investors be advised of the problems, the suit alleged. Meanwhile, the fund’s partners continued to “mislead investors… about the nature of the risk and the continued viability of the investment.”

Dhir alleged he was “suddenly terminated” for his whistleblowing activities at the end of January 2015, despite having produced profits of $11.5 million in 2014. The other portfolio managers who complained were also fired.

Carlyle terminated Nygaard and Gilbert in June 2015 for “malfeasance,” according to the complaint. Zuech remains an employee at Carlyle.

Related: Carlyle Ends Collusion Suit with $115M Settlement

Morgan Stanley Pays $3.2B in MBS Settlement

The bank admitted to securitizing mortgage loans with full knowledge of their “material defects.”

Morgan Stanley will pay $3.2 billion as part of a settlement with the Residential Mortgage-Backed Securities Working Group, group co-chair and New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman announced Thursday.

The settlement relates to what Schneiderman called “deceptive practices” around the construction and sale of mortgage-backed securities (MBS) in the build up to the market crash in 2008.

As part of its settlement, Morgan Stanley admitted it securitized and sold residential MBS despite knowing that the underlying mortgage loans had “material defects.”

“Please do not mention the ‘slightly higher risk tolerance’ in these communications. We are running under the radar and do not want to document these types of things.” —2006 Morgan Stanley emailThe bank also acknowledged that it increased the acceptable risk levels for loans in its securitized pools. In a May 2006 email uncovered by the investigation, a Morgan Stanley leader told a colleague, “Please do not mention the ‘slightly higher risk tolerance’ in these communications. We are running under the radar and do not want to document these types of things.”

Want the latest institutional investment industry
news and insights? Sign up for CIO newsletters.

The bank also admitted it securitized loans that “neither complied with the underwriting guidelines nor had adequate compensating factors,” according to a statement from the attorney-general’s office.

Morgan Stanley also purchased and securitized many loans which its credit and compliance team recommended not be purchased. Another email from November 2006 forwarded a list of questionable loans, adding, “I assume you will want to do your ‘magic’ on this one?”

Morgan Stanley’s $3.2 billion fine will help provide community housing relief, and included $550 million to be allocated to New York State.

“From day one my priority has been trying to help the people who were hurt and trying to help the communities that were devastated,” Schneiderman said at a press conference Thursday morning. “Today’s agreement is another victory in our efforts to help New Yorkers rebuild in the wake of the financial devastation caused by major banks.”

The working group has so far reached settlements totaling $65 billion, including agreements with JP Morgan and Credit Suisse. It was formed in 2012 by US President Barack Obama to investigate wrongdoing in the MBS market prior to the financial crisis.

“We are pleased to have finalized these settlements involving legacy residential mortgage-backed securities matters,” a Morgan Stanley spokesperson said in a statement. “The firm has previously reserved for all amounts related to these settlements.”

Related: JP Morgan in $388M MBS Settlement

«